Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Simple Pleasures


I get stressed. A. Lot. Lately. I hate to admit it, but it's true. Thankfully, it's not chronic-raise-your-blood-pressure-have-anxiety-eat-my-stress-away type stress, but it's stress, nonetheless, over random little things, or some bigger things.

I get stressed when the dog won't stop whining, because he wants to be outside, but then when I put him outside, he gets mad and barks and barks until he's inside, almost immediately after I turn my back.

I get stressed when Spencer freaks out, runs away from me, or fights me as I put a jacket on him.

I get stressed when I think about Jake being gone overnight.

I get stressed when the neighbor and her boyfriend can't seem to be quiet for more than 10 minutes at a time when it's dark outside and my toddler is sleeping... or at 4 in the morning when I'd like to be sleeping and she is still... loud.

I get stressed when Spencer won't eat, which is a new phase he's going through, I guess.

I get stressed thinking about travelling alone, running errands, feeding, bathing, diapering, and putting two children to sleep in a few months.

Among other things.

But, fortunately, I've been, as of late, finding stress relief in the little things. Simple pleasures that my son has shown me... taught me... or reminded me of.

  • Bubbies! That's how Spencer says bubbles. He LOVES bubbles, which makes me love bubbles- even if I get a little lightheaded blowing them for him.
  • Sharing a pop-tart in the morning, in our pajamas, on the couch, as we watch an episode of Blue's Clues.
  • Anything that glows in the dark.
  • Big bubbles, with bubble wands, in the backyard when it's windy.
  • Writing with chalk... on his wall (where we now have a chalkboard decal).
  • Bubbles in the bathtub, during bath time, when they stick to his wet body, and the tub, and float on top of the water.
  • Goldfish crackers, fruit snacks, saltines, and yogurt! Yum!
  • A lackadaisical walk around the neighborhood on a nice day (assuming he doesn't dart for the street, which he's getting better about).
  • Watching fish swim!
  • Sticking stickers on bare skin.
  • Giggling with your friends again after you've been apart.
  • Sitting by the window and watching the cars whiz by in the rain.
  • A handful of M&Ms, Skittles, or Gummi Bears, every now and then.
  • Coloring with crayons... outside the lines.
  • Throwing balloons as high as you can and watching them fall down and hit you in the face.
  • Cats and kittens!
  • The satisfaction of making a basket playing ball, especially since my aim is not very great!
  • Cuddling on the couch while watching the first... half... hour of a Disney movie.
Among other things. Those are some of the big, simple pleasures that are frequented in our daily lives.

Perhaps, though, my favorite is... when he's not even awake. Yes! I LOVE spending time with him, playing, exploring, and creating while he's awake. But, let's face it...

I love listening to his deep, slow breathing, watching his eyes flutter beneath their closed lids, as his face relaxes while he's curled up right next to me. Sometimes, I nap with him. Sometimes, I just lay there, with him lying on my arm, and watch him sleep for an hour. It's true.

1 comment: