Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Business Adventure

Being a small business owner wasn't in my plan for this year. It wasn't in my plan really... ever. I used to run a photography business with Jake. We did pretty well with it, but the act of competing and soliciting prospective clients was mentally exhausting. Then, I got pregnant with Spencer. We shot one wedding after that, and my focus was on our growing family.

It still is, really.

And that's kind of how this new adventure started.

It started when one of my best friends sent a pair of baby leggings in the mail for Collin, and I just thought they were excellent. He had been cutting his calves with his toenails, regardless of the fact that they were as short as could safely be clipped. With the leggings, it wasn't a problem. I wanted more, stat.

After some initial browsing, I thought to myself "I bet I could just make him some."

That was all I really intended. I wanted more leggings for Collin.

Okay, and a couple for a friend who is due with a baby girl very soon.

I made them. I was proud. I shared the photo of the gift leggings on Instagram and Facebook.

And, hours later, "Spenk & Ollie Creations" was born. Wednesday night, by the urging and excitement of some friends and family, I decided on a whim, really, to be a small business owner.

In less than 24 hours, I had 50 fans. I have sold over 10 pairs of leggings at my "Grand Opening."

I'm already learning. Fortunately, I have a few friends who are work at home moms/small business owners who are helping me tackle this project with advice, insight, and mentoring. I would be totally overwhelmed thinking about it if Jenn of Butterfly Designs, Carrie of Mud Butt Cloth Diapers, and Staci of Something Clicked Photography weren't already supporting, encouraging, and guiding me.

I find it a bit silly to say that, honestly, I have no expectations for this adventure. Maybe I will cute-ify ten pairs of baby legs and that will be the end. Maybe it will last years and I will send out hundreds of pairs.

The unknown is a bit scary, but exhilarating. I have already said to multiple people that I can't believe this happened.

If it ends tomorrow, I will be sad, sure. But, at least I got to try.

Assuming it doesn't end tomorrow, then in the next few weeks, I have some fun things planned.

It will be a learning adventure. But, I am excited to see what, if anything, develops.

Because I am typing this on a phone, I can't link to the text above. But, please head on over and show my mentoring friends some love by liking their pages.

Jenn - Butterfly Designs - http://www.facebook.com/ButterflyDesigns
Carrie - Mud Butt Cloth Diapers - http://www.facebook.com/MudButtClothDiapers
Staci - Something Clicked Photography - http://www.facebook.com/SomethingClickedPhotography


And... Spenk & Ollie Creations
http://www.favebook.com/SpenkOllieCreations



No comments:

Post a Comment