Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gosh, I love my sisters.


I must say, before I start, I have been reflecting a lot upon relationships that are meaningful in my life lately. My husband, my son, my sisters... to name a few. Fortunately, Spencer is taking a short nap again (because our loud neighbor woke us earlier), so I have a few minutes to express my thoughts again.

My sisters are AMAZING.

I'm fortunate to have my sisters not only be sisters, but also be two of my closest, dearest friends and confidants. Yes, indeed.

I am currently 28.
Samantha (or Sam) is 17.


Allison will be 13 this year.

Those are some pretty big age differences from me, obviously. But, despite that, and despite the fact that we live a few hours away, and despite the fact that I did not live with either one of them for all that long before I grew up, went to college, and got married... we're close. We're tight. We're three peas in a pod, some might say.

My sisters and I have a lot in common. We all love to read. We all love to create art. We all love music. We all love taking and editing photographs. We do that one a lot when we're together. We all love LAUGHING. We do that one even more than taking photographs when we're together. Gosh, we laugh so much. Sometimes, Jake gets to laughing just listening to us laugh. I've been known to laugh so hard I couldn't breathe. Or I'd tear up. Or I'd almost pee my pants. Or, when I was pregnant with Spencer, laugh so hard I'd gag and throw up. Yes. We love to laugh. About the strangest, smallest, most random things sometimes that no one else would really understand or think funny, but hey, they're hilarious to us!

I'm blessed to have these two lovely ladies in my life, and I love that our interests and passions are fairly similar. Especially when we are able to spend weeks together at a time and are able to capture so many moments and memories on camera. I was looking through photos of the three of us and our adventures earlier. I won't lie, I teared up. It's so easy to relive those cherished times when we take turns being behind the lens. We capture our smiles and so many other facial expressions that when I look through the photos, it's almost as if I can hear my sister's laughter and voices in the room with me. Gosh! That's SO FREAKING WONDERFUL.

In this entry, I have included a few photos from one of my favorite "shoots" together, just a few days before I found out I was pregnant with Spencer in February 2010. We were having a blast in the snow in the backyard. I've also included an older one from 2009, just because I like it.

When I moved on to college, I was very, very sad to leave my sisters behind. I felt like I was going to miss out on the majority of their childhoods. The majority of their lives. Somehow, we made it work, and while I miss random every-day things, I feel like the important stuff I'm able to be a part of, whether it's by phone, online, or in person. I'm thankful for that!

When I moved to Sioux Falls with Jake in 2009, I felt like I was abandoning them. Leaving them so far behind that I would barely ever see them, and that they'd lose touch with me. I felt like they'd hate me for not staying. I almost refused to move, actually. It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever faced. But, I had a heart-to-heart with them, and they assured me I was crazy (in nicer terms) and it wouldn't hurt our relationship. It'd probably strengthen it. Even as "little" as they are compared to me (though they'll BOTH be taller than me next week probably, Sam already is), they're so wise when it comes to matters like that.

They're so helpful, too. When they're around, they help out with Spencer, now that he's here. And, recently, over Christmas break, they pretty much cared for him non-stop, as well as helped with the majority of the housework, and helped quell my sadness and frustration with basically being bedridden with sciatica. My little sisters did! I was beyond blessed to have them here when they were!

I like to think I'm some sort of inspiration (haha, maybe that's one big high hope) and role model for them, in at least some way. I hope to be. I hope to be leading a good example for them.

I can't wait until I can see them again. Today, especially, for some unknown reason (most likely, I guess, the photographs I was looking through), I miss them, and I want them here right now. But, I know that's not possible. I'm hoping to see them in a few weeks, if possible.

For now, I think this shall be all.

In summary, I love my sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment