Wednesday, August 14, 2013

South Dakota, I am ASHAMED. (And how you can help...)

Tonight, I read something that unnerved, upset... Well, frankly, pissed me off. Hardcore.

A few months ago, I blogged about the End It Now Movement and the huge prevalence of slavery/human trafficking that exists in our country, and worldwide.

http://goghgreen.blogspot.com/2013/04/reality-we-need-to-end-it.html?m=1


I have occasionally tried to do my part via social media, slacking, admittedly, to bring the issue to light. Tonight, though, I saw a graph that made me furious with my state (South Dakota) and the apparent complete disregard for the issue.

Now, yes, I realize there are many issues that officials need to address, I understand. But this one is too important to ignore completely. And, well, South Dakota is now the ONLY STATE IN THE COUNTRY that has not taken even basic steps to combat the issue. We are the ONLY STATE. 

page1image128

It's SICKENING to me.

So tonight, I decided to start emailing my public officials. It's a start. And I'm praying others in the state will join in. If you live here, or know someone who does, take a few minutes to stand with me. If you can't think of what to say, you can copy and paste the following letter I wrote. I found my officials' emails via Google. It's that simple.


Here's the letter:



Good Evening.

I am writing you this letter out of deep concern for our state, our country, and our world.

You see, there is a huge issue that affects 27 million individuals worldwide, and I learned recently that our state is choosing to largely ignore this issue.

This issue is one of basic human rights. The right to NOT be owned by another. To not be property. Yes, I am in fact writing about slavery.

Slavery STILL EXISTS TODAY. In our country. According to the End It Now Movement, "Most people think that slavery in the United States ended with the Civil War. But right now, as you read this, there are roughly 200,000 slaves working in America. And 17,000 more will be trafficked in the next year." Also, from their site, which I provide below, "As many as 17,500 people are trafficked into the United States annually. That’s nearly 48 people a day who have become slaves on the very same soil where it was abolished 150 years ago. And the average age of these people? 14 years old."

Enough is ENOUGH. It is absurd to think this issue can be ignored.

According to the Polaris Project (also linked below), over the past year, our state has failed to do anything to combat this important issue. If you take the time to read and examine the graphic, we are now THE WORST STATE in the country when it comes to a lack of public, official, united concern for the millions still bound in slavery and human trafficking. We as a state should be ashamed to remain quiet. You as a public official should be ashamed that your power is not being utilized and your voice is silent.

Take a stand for humans. 

Let us work together to pass laws prohibiting human trafficking. Don't let our state live in the dark ages. Don't let our state give the impression that it is okay. It most definitely is NOT.

Thank you,


Polaris Project- 

http://www.polarisproject.org/what-we-do/policy-advocacy/national-policy/state-ratings-on-human-trafficking-laws

End It Now Movement-

http://enditmovement.com/learn

No comments:

Post a Comment