Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vicks Cures Me.

I will try not to make this too gross.

I'm going in reverse order when it comes to the joys of gagging and morning sickness that pregnancy bestows upon a woman. I had very little issue with any of it up until like... the end of last week. I mean, I'd have bouts of it, but nothing consistent.

It's like... my nose all of a sudden started working, and it's taking over other types of memory in my brain.

Now, I have had a broken nose twice, and I've felt like my sense of smell has been dulled for a few years. And yes, pregnancy totally kicks that up a notch, I read.

But lately... oh my. I work in an infant room at work. I love my job. But I can't seem to change a single diaper without almost losing it all over the place! It's going to be a long six months if that doesn't change. Luckily, one of my co-workers has been kind enough as to change the icky diapers and leave me to do the wet ones, but still, the look or even thought of a dirty diaper sends me gagging like a fool. It's never been a problem before!

Then today, I decide to take out the garbage bags in the downstairs hallway, because I've been neglecting them, as has Jake.

EPIC FAIL. As soon as I open the door... you can imagine. It didn't smell THAT bad, but it was enough to send me into my fit. And so I take one bag out, and I lose my marbles all over the driveway. And then I just can't stop.

So I take an intermission in the bathroom, (and by the way, the thought of hanging out by a toilet is really hard for me to stomach as well) and try to figure out what to do to get these dang bags out to the garage.

Vicks.

It's the only thing I can think of. So, I get the Vicks VapoRub cream out of the drawer and I slather it like shaving cream all over my nasal area. Yeah, nice and thick so I looked like an idiot.

But it saved me for the last two bags of trash.

I wonder how how much ridicule I'd get if I applied the Vicks method at work.

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! I can just imagine you with a Vicks mustache! Moustache? How do you spell that word? Anyway, hope you feel better soon, dearest :)

    PS: Being near toilets makes me ill too, especially if I'm brushing my teeth. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know first started working at the daycare I could not for the life of me keep my gag reflex down when changing diapers. It took a while and access to a TON of baby wipes, but eventually I was able to tolerate it.

    ReplyDelete