Friday, March 25, 2011

Sliced, like turkey.

Well... surgery was performed, and apparently with success, as I am sitting here typing this for anyone who wants to read.

This past Wednesday, promptly at 9:30 am, we arrived at the surgical tower for check-in. Following visits from various nurses, anasthetisoligicistslicsitlistuilss (i.e. anesthesiologists, but I let my fingers get away from me and decided against using the backspace key), and the surgeon, they hooked me up to an IV and got me all gussied up (in a hospital gown, robe, and giant, gray, no-slip socks) for the procedure.

Spencer made quite a few friends throughout the day, let me just say. Basically anyone who works at the hospital and came in the room got smiles from him, talked to him, complimented him (or us, whomever you prefer to interpret the compliments for) on his eyes and cuteness, and some even got to hold him.

Anyway. I was nervous. I sat there in my pretty attire with Jake and Spencer as we waited for me to be escorted to the procedure room. It was crazy to walk into that freezing cold room, get up on the bed, have the nurse tell me she was going to inject the anesthesia into my IV, and basically be out. I remember them covering me with some warm blankets because it was super cold.. and I think they were asking me about my dog? I am not entirely sure. This was promptly at 11:00am.

Fast forward... and I wake, every so groggily in a recovery room and see that the clock reads 12:48pm. Nice. My back hurt and my throat hurt and my eyes were totally hazy as they asked me if I knew where I was. I drifted in and out of consciousness for a few minutes before they asked me to rate my pain, and offered me some ice chips (delightful, I tell you what), a cracker, and some pain medications.

Boy, trying to choke down that cracker was a real treat. I thought for sure I might choke on it and die. My throat and mouth were SO dry I couldn't even produce saliva to wet it down, so it just coated the inside of my mouth and throat as I hacked it up waiting for more liquids. After I finally got that down... they wheeled me into yet another recovery room where I was finally able to see my husband and son. Well, sort of, as they had me facing the opposite side of the room as they had them sitting on. Nice planning, right?

After some apple juice, some toast (that I again had to try to choke down, I've never felt so dehydrated in my life, that I recall) and some successful (or adequate anyway) vital readings, the nurse taught us how to work the JP bulb thingy, had me try walking, let me get dressed, and prepared us to leave. As she was getting final paperwork, I was sitting on the bed, and thought for sure I was going to faint or pass out or lose my stomach... but I didn't.

We got home, and I don't really remember much. I know that Jake let me lie down in bed and I slept a lot. I remember later that night that he went to Bible Study and Jesse (his twin) came and babysat Spencer and I. I slept the entire time, as I had taken my pain medication (I guess).

After Bible Study, we had supper, thanks to a friend from church who prepared it for us... and then I tried to stand up and got really sick. That was fun.

I don't really remember much else.

But yeah, so they cut me open, removed a bunch of stuff, taped me up, inserted a tube/hose thing that is connected to a ball that I clip to my shirt that needs to be emptied twice a day and said "see you Monday morning." Basically. I'm on narcotics for pain and antibiotics to prevent infection. I hurt. I'm tired. I'm lightheaded and dizzy... but as Jake says, it'll get better.

And, for the record, Jake has done a fantastic job as "Mr. Mom" to Spencer, as well as taking care of me. I'm actually very nervous to be home alone with Spencer tomorrow for the first time since the surgery, unable to take pain medication, and just hoping the day goes smoothly. So, prayers for that would be great.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and well-wishes, and those who have prepared meals to that Jake didn't have to worry about that too!

Here's to hoping I'm pain free and recovered swiftly, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment